Access to justice is a significant issue in the disability community.
As much as possible, I will be offering reasonable flat fee arrangements that will allow clients to know up front what their legal fees will be. Consider it not pro bono, but relatively low bono legal service.
Creative Fee Arrangements
Some law firms only offer one method of billing for their services, and that may work for them; however, I recognize that providing legal services is not a “one size fits all” approach.
MMC Legal Services offers flexible pricing and creative fee arrangements that will depend upon the specific circumstances of each case, i.e., fixed fee, contingency fee, hourly fee or blended fee. Unlike many law firms, I often offer fixed fees to handle an entire case or to perform particular tasks [see the Unbundled Legal Services tab, above.
Types of fees:
- Consultation Fees – My usual consult fee is $150.00, for which I am happy to spend as much time as necessary to you the information you require to decide on next steps. Should you choose to retain me, that fee will be credited back on your first invoice.
- Contingency Fee – With a contingency fee arrangement (percentage fee), you only pay lawyer fees if there is a recovery of money on your case, in which case an agreed upon percentage of that recovery will be my fee. In a contingency fee case, the lawyer’s fee is based upon the gross amount recovered, and the expenses (disbursements; see below) are deducted from the recovery after the lawyer’s fee is calculated. Or, in other words, if there is a recovery, my contingency lawyer fee will be calculated before the client’s expenses are deducted and before the client’s share is received, and the client is liable for the expenses in addition to the lawyer’s fee.
- Retainers – A retainer will be required for any matters going beyond a consultation.
- Fixed Fees – As much as possible, I will quote you a “fixed” fee before work is begun.
- Fee for Time – When it is not possible to estimate the amount of time and effort required, fees are charged on an hourly basis.
- Disbursements – Disbursements are any payments I make to a third party on your behalf, such as court filing fees. These payments are charged in addition to the fee. You will only pay what I pay to the third party.
- Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) – HST will be charged at rate of 15% for all services.
I will work extremely hard on your case, but regardless of the legal issues involved, I cannot guarantee the outcome of any matter.